Thursday, August 21, 2008

whetting my appetite

People keep asking: "What kind of food will you eat in Ecuador?" I never know exactly what to say. Over a dozen varieties of corn? Brothy stews made with mysterious meats? Tripe in peanut sauce? Lo mein from chifas? The famous cuy, or guinea pig, roasted on a spit? Fruit fruit and more fruit? Ecuadorian food is a delicious hodgepodge.

This recent piece in The New York Times reminded me of what will soon hit my palate, and that Ecuadorian buses are comfortable-bordering-on-luxurious. AC and reclining seats? Bring on the overnight rides.

I remember one lovely overnight from Quito to the coast. The driver steered through fog for hours and I slept deeply. I woke to a hazy sunrise and fishermen delivering their morning catches by bicycle.

No comments: