Friday, September 5, 2008

i´m working!

I´m in Otavalo during what must be one of the craziest weekends of the year. It´s the fiesta del yamor, a celebration of a local beverage made of corn. No, I haven´t tried any yet, but it´s on my to do list, don´t worry. Tonight there´s a parade, the crowning of a yamor queen and other celebrations.

I´ve been running around town like mad today, learning the ropes as a new author. I´m getting it down, from the hotel visit to plying other tourists for info. I can see that I´m going to have little time for lounging around.

It´s lovely to be here. You can see three volcanos from town and the people are friendly and used to dealing with tourists. I took a break from research and perused the local food market...chicken feet, more kinds of beans and grains than I´ve ever seen. Some vats of spices and plenty of legumes. I coffeed inside the market with a traveler named Don, who is retired and doesn´t have a home. He arrived yesterday after a harrowing bus ride through Colombia. I´m happy I don´t have to make any border crossings on this trip.

Anyway, must get back to it. Looking forward to seeing Sophie tonight at our cute hotel.

No comments: