Thursday, September 11, 2008

language skills

Hablo mucho. Every day. And it hurts my brain. But after ten (?) days on the road, I can feel the cobwebs lifting. I can speak some Spanish. Today while driving to these strange towns between Mindo and the coast, my driver Jairon helped me figure out a few past tense verbs. I`m tired of talking in the present tense all the time. It makes me feel tongue tied.

I bought a silly Spanish phrase book that was published in 1958. No internet terms there, but I do know how to be demanding and non-gracious in a restaurant. There´s a serious lack of politeness in this book, but I liked the type and some of the phrases still seem to apply.

Between hanging out with British Sophie and speaking Spanish all day, my English is getting strange. Vale la pena?

No comments: