Monday, September 22, 2008

jungle survial

Today I´m heading to a place without electricity, roads, internet or phone, and I can`t wait. Going downstream (toward the Amazon River) on the Rio Napo to check out a multitude of lodges. I am looking forward to seeing plenty of wildlife, although I´ve already discovered some new strange mammals here in Coca living outside my hotel. One looks like a hairy armadillo and the other is some sort of monkey relative. Who knows! But they certainly are interesting. I watched one eat a mouse yesterday.

I am giving into the sweat and the stink that will define my life for the next few weeks. I swear none of the locals sweat at all. It´s just me. But I am learning to stop and drink fresh fruit juices, sit near fans, and swim in the afternoons if possible. Pure survival technqiues, I tell you.

No comments: